Friday 28 December 2012

RUBY ANN



Back in 2001 I got into the fantastic world of computers for the first time, and I soon discovered a wealth of my kind of music hidden (at the time) amongst the humdrum pop music of the day.
I came across a song called 'Starlight Starbright' by The Boppin' Boozers.  I loved the sound of the female vocalist, something in the way she delivered the words of the song.  After buying The Boppin' Boozer's 2002 CD 'Honky Tonk Mind' I soon discovered that Ruby Ann was a force to be reckoned with. She purrs, she can growl, she can sing like Patsy Cline but still sound like Ruby Ann. She makes you sit up and notice and more importantly...listen.

Ruby Ann’s long awaited new CD ‘Mama’s Back’ was released by Rhythm Bomb records at the beginning of December 2011 and is now on its second pressing. It comes nicely packaged with very informative liner notes from ‘The Beat Beats’ main man, Jerry Chatabox.

CALL HIS NAME
KNOCKED OUT, NO LOVE
MAD MAMA
MAMA's HERE
I'VE HEARD THAT LINE BEFORE
DO RIGHT MAMA
BABY I DON'T CARE
WHO'S BEEN FOOLING ME?
NO, I WONT CRY
DO YOU LOVE ME
I'LL NEVER GET RICH
MANY TEARS AGO
LOVE ME ONE MORE TIME
I'M GONNA HAVE MYSELF A BALL

‘Mama’s Back’ is an excellent mixed bag of our music, covering all the styles from Rhythm & Blues (50s) Rock n Roll (50s and early 60s) Country pop (60s) and of course Rockabilly.
The CD has 14 tracks of well produced tunes with backing from Germany’s own ‘The Round Up Boys’, who compliment Ruby’s amazing vocal range and delivery.

One of my favourite tracks on the CD is Ruby’s version of Johnny Strickland’s (of ‘She’s Mine’ fame) ‘I’ve Heard That Line Before’. Ruby’s version is similar to the original, but I believe vocally Ruby performs/sings it better; it’s a haunting bluesy tune and so different from my preferred Ruby Ann style of singing, which is of course...rockabilly.
Ruby’s take on Carl Gillion’s ‘Do Right Daddy’ and Carl Mann’s ‘Baby I Don’t Care’ satisfies my hunger for good rockin’ Sun styled music and Ruby certainly delivers these two numbers with her well loved style...Ruby-Billy!
The country inspired ‘Who Been Fooling Me?’ written by the multi-instrumentalist Axel Praefcke, who also produced the CD, and ‘Many Tears Ago’ are in the style of early 60s pop inspired country music; think of Patsy Cline circa 1962 with the added attraction of the Ray Price shuffle beat, a very cool sound but definitely in the style of Ruby Ann.

This release gets the full 10 out of 10 marking from me; for the CD package design, production, musicianship and Ruby Ann’s wonderful voice.

Welcome back Mama, Europe has missed you.

Check out Ruby's Website
http://miss-rubyann.com/

Grab your copy
And other cool stuff here...

My video of Ruby at the Hillbilly Hop, London
 
CALL HIS NAME - Official Video by BOPFLIX
 
DISCOGRAPHY
With the Boppin' Boozers
CD -  BOPPIN' LIKE A CHICKEN -  LUX RECORDS 1999
CD -  HONKY TONK MIND - RAUCOUS RECORDS 2002
 
As Ruby Ann
CD - TRAIN TO SATANVILLE - WILD RECORDS 2007
CD - TRAIN TO SATANVILLE - RHYTHM BOMB 2010
CD - MAMA'S BACK - RHYTHM BOMB 2011
 
45RPM -  NO I WON'T CRY b/w I'LL NEVER GET RICH - RHYTM BOMB 2012



2 comments:

  1. Ruby Ann is a true delight. I look forward to seeing her perform in Vegas this April

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had wings I'd fly over and join you in a beer or two Al.

    ReplyDelete